Moist Banana Cake that’s good for breakfast or an afternoon pick-me-up. Grab a cup of coffee and dig in!
Let me start by saying I hate the word moist. Always have, always will. It’s one of those words that makes my nose wrinkle.
However, I must use the word moist throughout this post because, well, there is really no other way for me to describe this banana cake.
I have mentioned in other blog entries that we have a problem with buying bananas and never eating them in their yellow state. Instead, I wait until they are a nice shade of rotten before contemplating their fate. Once they hit the stage just before “really probably ought to be thrown away”, I start searching.
This recipe is adapted from RecipeZaar (which is now Food.com), and has an interesting preparation method. After you bake the cake at a low 275°F, you immediately chuck the cake into the freezer for 45 minutes.
Apparently this is what makes this cake so… well, moist! I’ve actually tested this cake recipe without using the freezer method to cool the cake, and there is definitely a noticeable difference in the texture of the cake, so if you can spare the room in your freezer for 45 minutes, it’s totally the way to go
The first time I tried this cake, I baked it up in a Bundt pan because I was on a Bundt pan kick at the time. Don’t worry, it passed.
Because I used a Bundt pan, which is a lot deeper, the cake took a lot longer to bake. I had to keep checking it, which was really infringing on my Sunday night TV time, but it turned out to be amazing.
I decided that was a silly, unnecessary complication to a pretty amazing recipe, so since then, I’ve always backed it up in a 9×13 cake pan. And I’ll tell you, that fits a lot easier in my freezer too.
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 275°. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
- In a small bowl, mix mashed bananas with the lemon juice; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy; about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 teaspoons of vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk until just combined. Stir in mashed bananas.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 60-75 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. This could take longer than 75 minutes depending on your oven.
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake extremely moist.
- For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add in 1 teaspoon vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Add powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake and devour!
- If you prefer less frosting, feel free to cut the frosting ingredients in half.
- This moist banana cake will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.